Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Whaling Museum

For this week's date, William decided that we'd get lunch at Panera and then visit the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum. I'd been wanting to go to the museum for months, so I was so excited when he chose it for our next date.



The museum is a small building, located amidst the quiet and charming residential section of Cold Spring Harbor. We parked on a side street, and I must admit that some of the homes/properties took my breath away! I'm a sucker for old, victorian-style homes that have quaint little gardens and lots of property.

Although the building itself is small, the museum holds lots of interesting pieces from the American whaling era and many interactive displays. My favorite part of the museum was where we got to listen to whale songs. Some aspects of the museum were very sad, seeing as I'm against whaling, but I tried to focus on the conservation efforts people have enforced. I was so fascinated with all of the interesting facts and displays that the museum had to offer, and I would definitely recommend it! Whales are such beautiful animals, and it was so cool to learn about their form of communication. While at the museum, I decided that I would absolutely love to one day swim with whales, which I immediately started researching upon getting home.

This display of whale bones was so interesting. The picture really doesn't give you a good enough idea of how huge these bones were. It was crazy to stand alongside these humungous things, trying to picture just how large these animals are!

A dolphin tailbone.

This photo doesn't do this much justice, but this whale rib bone was hugeeee!

The little tiny rectangle in the right corner of this picture displays a mouse skull, as compared to the giant whale skull next to it.

This is a whale tail fluke, which collects food as the whales swim along.






 This cauldron-like pot was used to melt blubber into oil.





 The crow's nest.





1 comment:

  1. The whaling museum turned out to be really cool, and very insightful

    ReplyDelete