Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Long Island Adventures: Raspberry Patches

Oh, how I long for acres and acres of farmland, rotating my crops in different fields year after year. People think I'm insane when I tell them I'd love to be a farmer, but if it was possible, I absolutely would. Every time William and I drive out east to Lewin's Farms, I envy the amount of fields that family owns. I wish I owned that much land and had enough help to run you-pick farms each season and a small marketplace for the locals.

Strawberry picking was not successful this summer because New York/Long Island never had a proper spring season. Instead, we had unseasonably cold weeks followed by immediate warming of the weather. When we made our trip out towards Riverhead in June, we opted to just buy whatever strawberries Lewin's had for sale in their market.

Last week, we decided to go back and pick peaches, seeing as the peach season normally begins in the middle of July. However, our lack of a spring halted this season, too, and we found ourselves picking raspberries, instead. Raspberries are my absolute favorite fruit, so of course this wasn't a problem, but I found myself dreaming of owning my own raspberry patch, complete with rows and rows that seem to trail on forever.















That evening, I went to visit William's parents down at the docks. They were crabbing, but it wasn't a very successful night. The weather was perfect, though, and it was a great way to end the day.


5 comments:

  1. I love how you hang out with my parents mlore than i do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe I still have not eaten any of the raspberries?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is there no mention of the perfect pair of jeans you bought at the outlets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you should say that about strawberries. Ours here in Oregon were super late this year, as were our blueberries. I think it was just a weird berry season this year!

    Also, I know what you mean about wanting to be a farmer. I love the idea of it and maybe someday I can have at least a garden of my own. I'm not a particularly green thumb kind of person (I'm constantly killing my houseplants accidentally), but I do love the idea of growing your own food and living off of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never really had a proper spring here in New York, and it definitely shows in a lot of crops both in my garden and in our local farms. But because it was so wet and cold this past spring, other fruits and veggies are coming in so well (go figure!). It's always either too hot or too wet in New York/Long Island, so it's always a bad season for some crops.

    I'm sure you'd be a great farmer if you gave it a try! It's quite simple, so don't let it intimidate you. Every year I try out new crops, and I just do my reading online and learn from experience.

    ReplyDelete