Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Calm Before The Storm

I can't even begin to properly describe how eerie it looks and sounds outside my window right now. There are no birds chirping. I cannot hear any traffic on the highway down my block. The incessant buzzing of the cicadas are absent today. It's as if all of life has halted, and is waiting. The East Coast is expected to be heavily affected by hurricane Irene, and life yesterday on Long Island was quite amusing.

I'm sure it's not only New York/Long Island that acts this way right before a potential emergency. It's just so silly how any type of storm makes people act. For instance, grocery stores are immediately wiped out of the "essentials"--milk, eggs and bread. First of all, I can't fathom not having these items in my house at all times. Second, what the hell are you going to make/eat with just these three items?! I went to the grocery store last night and stocked up on snacks and goodies. If this storm is as bad as they say it might be, I at least want to snack on junk food after I make dinner this weekend.

I didn't think it was going to be a problem at first, so I let the gas tank in my car reach below 1/4 tank. I didn't know people were going to freak out over filling up their cars before a hurricane. The only reason I could think people did this was in case the storm prevents any gas trucks from delivering new shipments during/after the storm comes through. But really, people? Yes, this is Long Island, which implies that we are surrounded by water on all sides, but in reality, we are not as isolated as the name implies. As I tried to get gas yesterday afternoon, I drove around to three different stations because people either waited in line in ridiculous areas of the gas station or were blocking traffic on major highways. Some gas stations ran out of gas, which sounds terrible and alarming, but as I left William's house last night, every gas station I passed was getting a delivery.

I do hope everyone remains safe during this storm, no matter how big or small it may turn out to be. Thankfully, I wasn't alive for the most dangerous and damaging hurricane that hit New York/Long Island, and we're all hoping this one isn't anything like it. Good luck to all who may be affected by Irene, and let's hope she moves out to sea soon enough.

1 comment: